Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Backyard Pond

In 2012 we did a backyard overhaul including a deck, patio and landscaping and I blogged about it here.

In 2015 we added a fish pond next to the patio and I never found the time to share it on my blog. So here it is!


We really had no idea what we were doing when we started digging for a pond. I guess it goes to show that anyone can build a pond? We did a little research about how deep we should dig it so our fish would survive the winter and were fortunate enough to have someone doing away with their pond so we had a pump and rocks to work with.
We just laid out a hose and created what we thought we wanted. It's nearly 3 feet deep in the middle and we made some ledges for plants to sit on. I loved to see them change colors and bloom!

The pond is about 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. Hubby built a bridge for the fish to have some summer shade (but I can't seem to find a pic of it right now).I am happy to report that the fish survived their first winter!
Now I am anxiously awaiting some beautiful warm weather so we can enjoy our backyard again!