Thursday, August 5, 2010

My first attempt at Tiling- basement kitchen

I'm sorry I haven't been blogging as much, the basement is really taking up my time these days. I started tiling the kitchen area down there. It's coming along really well. 
 












I will say it's the first thing I've done down there that is really taxing on my body. Do you know how just scrubbing the floor on your hands and knees is tiring?? This is very similar but takes a lot longer. Just this first half of the kitchen area took me 6 hours! It's a very slow process, especially if you are particular like me and want it done perfect.  In case you are wondering.. I do have help, my hubby is in charge of cutting the tiles with the wet saw outside and bringing them to me. But fortunately for him we planned it out in a way that we have to cut very few tiles (he has only had to cut 8 so far!)













And this is just the step that you mortar it to the ground.. Next I have to go back and grout it all!













Soon I will take a basement break and visit some of your blogs, I promise! Our new fridge and dishwasher are being delivered next week as well as carpet installed (we are not installing the carpet, we do draw a line somewhere), so we're sort of in a time crunch to finish the tiling.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, look at you go. I have layed a little tile before and it is hard on your knees and back. Wait till you grout. I didn't like that part. Looks really great. You guys are moving right along. Can't wait for the finished project.
Brooke

Susan said...

Oh, Amy, that is a LOT of work. A lot. You are doing an awesome job! It will be beautiful when you finish. And a kitchen area in the basement? Oh my goodness, you could almost live down there and rent the rest of your house! Good job! Susan

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

Man, do I admire you. Tiling is super hard work... it looks like you are doing a great job. I like the tile! Your blog looks very interesting... I am going to take a look around. Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate it.

Lori

P.S. Do you wear knee pads while you tile? I would have to for sure.

Beth Leintz said...

Hi- I saw your blog title "Creative in Kansas" on Suz "Katsui" blog. I live in Kansas, so I had to click on your link.

...Then when I scrolled down and saw your post about Naan and butter chicken I had to comment. I love both- but the closest I've ever come to making butter chicken is buying the sauce at the grocery store- it was NOT the same as my favorite resturants- so if you figure out how to make it- I'd love to know the secret.

Best, Beth

PS- I so admire you for taking on finishing your basement yourself- WOW!

Christy said...

OK....I can't tell you how much respect I have for you at this latest attempt! It's my dream to have the courage to retile something....even if it's a piece of 1x1 square wood. I just am not there yet!

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

I can completely relate to the feeling of not making progress on a BIG project. In reality, you have accomplished a lot and it is looking GREAT! I'm so impressed with your tile job. Wish you could come tile a couple bathrooms for me. ;)