Sunday, January 23, 2011

Daydreaming about spring planting..

We currently have a yard covered in snow with a few more inches on the way, sooooo I am daydreaming about spring planting.

Here is a backyard photo, from a good 10 years ago, at a prior house. (Sorry for the poor quality something odd happened when I scanned the print.)


Oh how I wish when I moved I had taken some of my grandma's iris that I transplanted into that yard.

2011 is going to be a big year for landscaping at our house. Our backyard at this house is just so bare. I really don't know where to start. I planted a perennial garden in the far back corner, you can read around it here and I planted a vegetable garden and herb garden that you are read about here and I planted some wildflowers, read about here. What I think I really needs are some shrubs, a few trees, and maybe a rose garden.

Here was a photo taken of our backyard before any of the above... It's really not much more exciting now. We spend this entire last year finishing the basement and making changes to the inside of our home. Now it's time to put some time into the backyard!

Is anyone else thinking about what they are going to plant this spring?

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, I'm definitely planning and thinking, Amy. I bought daffodil and tulip bulbs and hope some of them bloom in the front yard. Would like some herbs this year and some cutting garden flowers too. And I'd love to find some statuary for the back yard. We already put in a fountain and I can't wait to sit by it! It's so nice to think about spring when the snow is piled up to our chins! Susan

Pamela said...

What a wonderful back yard you have!! We worked a bit on our patio last year since it was our first summer at the new house. This summer we are hoping to do some landscaping.

Patty in Oz said...

With a yard your size, the sky is the limit. I suggest surrounding yourselves with what you love most and I know you love flowers! Aren't you impressed by people who plan & plant foliage and flowers that spill out different colors through the seasons?

Maybe you could find and purchase similar irises as your Grandma's and plant them in her memory? Or better yet...blow up the picture you shared and frame of print of those gorgeous purple irises. Pictures are worth a thousand words aren't they?

You have me day dreaming about spring now. Thank you.