Monday, January 18, 2010

Seafood Bisque Recipe

A couple times a month I frequent a local Mediterranean restaurant that has wonderful seafood bisque. It's nothing like my dad's seafood chowder (my favorite cuisine to request when I'm back home), but it's ever so yummy! Tonight I figured out how to make my own. I put a few recipes together that I found on the web and tried to recreate the taste of the restaurant's bisque. It's not cheap to make by any means, but it's worth the cost to me.

Here is the recipe.....

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
2 teaspoons of Old Bay seasoning
2/3 cup of chicken broth
4 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
3 cups of half and half cream
1 pound medium shrimp- peeled and deveined
1/2 pound precooked crab meat
1/2 pound precooked lobster meat
1/2 cup cream sherry

Directions:
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, red pepper, old bay seasoning and garlic. Blend in chicken broth, and 1 1/2 cups of half-and-half cream. Mix in the shrimp, crab meat and lobster meat. Add the remainding 1 1/2 cups of half-and-half cream and cream sherry. Continue to cook over medium heat until the alcohol in the sherry is cooked out. Serve with fresh bread and enjoy!
Note: I like my seafood bisque meaty, if you don't you can cut down on the seafood you add in.
Serving size= 4 medium bowls.